When you share your home with a furry four-legged family member you know the never-ending struggle of keeping up with the pet hair. The Shark Ultra Cyclone Pet Pro+ can be your next best friend to your hairy companion be it your pet or your significant other! After all, pets aren’t the only living beings that shed.
There are many things to love about having a pet, but the pet hair that gets left behind isn’t one of them. So what do you do? Regular grooming can help to keep the shedding to a minimum, but it won’t keep your floors, furniture, or upholstery completely free from pet hair. Let’s also talk about other messes pets can leave behind. Spills from pet food dishes and stray cat litter are all too common in homes with pets as well. Daily walks or just a leisurely stroll around the backyard could also bring in dirt and mud from Fido’s outside time. Having a vacuum on hand helps make cleaning up after your pets as well as the other members of your household much easier.
Why Do You Need a Pet Vacuum?
You may already own a vacuum cleaner or considering purchasing a new one and wonder what’s the difference with a pet vacuum. A traditional vacuum whether upright, canister, stick or handheld, will likely get the job done. A pet vacuum, however, is specifically designed for lifting up hair and fur with minimal tangles and hair wrap around the bristles. These are also better at picking up long hair, especially if the shedding issues are NOT from a furry household member. Unless you enjoy frequently cleaning out your vacuum cleaner’s bristles or roller head manually a pet vacuum is certainly worth having.
Handheld vacuum cleaners make it easier to clean multiple surfaces wherever needed. When your home is also home to your beloved pet you’re likely going to find fur and pet hair in places beyond just the floor. A handheld vacuum is much easier to handle and maneuver when cleaning on top of, around or under furniture and obstacles. A cordless model can be taken anywhere around your home or even your vehicle. It also beats using endless sheets of a lint roller everyday or sweeping which can just spread pet hair around. These portable handheld cleaners may not quite match up to the suction power of a traditional vacuum for heavy-duty jobs, but they are a great addition to have for easy cleanups. They’re typically cheaper than their upright counterparts and compact in size taking up very little room. In some homes they may be a suitable alternative to a traditional vacuum.
Consider these important features when choosing the right pet vacuum for your needs:
- Lightweight – A handheld vacuum should be lightweight to make them easier to carry around while using. This is especially important when it comes to cleaning stairs! An ideal weight for comfortable use to opt for in a handheld vacuum is under 5 pounds.
- Nozzle accessories – handheld pet vacuums generally feature a pet hair brush designed for optimal performance at picking up pet hair. Additional accessories are a nice plus to look for to get more versatility from your cleaner. Crevice tools, for instance, allow you to get into tight places where pet hair and dirt can hide like in between sofa cushions or under cabinets and along baseboards.
- Detachable or single-touch dust cups – Who likes scooping out dust and pet hair? A detachable dust cup or single-touch release cups allow you to easily empty your vacuum cleaner’s dustbin without coming in contact with the dust and debris. A clear or translucent dustbin is a convenient added feature in design to clearly see when it needs to be emptied.
Best Handheld Pet Vacuum of 2021
Review : Shark Ultra-Cyclone Pet Pro+
- Two ultra-powerful cyclonic air streams for incredible suction and long-lasting filter and motor life
- Detachable self-cleaning Pet Power Brush eliminates hair wrap from the floor, upholstery, and the brushroll
- Features an XL dust cup to tackle big jobs
- Lightweight and portable at only 2. 8 lbs.
- Contains a washable filter for easy cleanup.
- CleanTouch dirt ejector for easy, hands-free debris disposal
- Lithium-ion technology ensures reliable performance during each use
- Comes with a crevice tool and scrubbing brush clean hard-to-reach places and remove stuck-on dirt
The Shark brand has been in the industry of vacuum cleaners for decades so they know a thing or two when it comes to quality. We’ve also featured other Shark vacuum products (specifically robot vacuums) in other publications for their quality and function. The Shark Ultra Cyclone Pet Pro Plus is a cordless vacuum that packs a lot of power in the palm of your hand. The handheld vacuum is great for picking up dust, dirt, and pet hair from multiple surfaces and even carpeted stairs due to its unique design. It features two very powerful cyclonic air streams for reliable suction. It splits up dust and debris as it picks up to prevent the loss of suction or power fade. This quality also provides long-lasting life for the filter and motor. As powerful as this handheld is you might be surprised by how lightweight it feels in your hand. Weighing just 2.8lbs it is super lightweight for practical daily cleaning in high and low areas from upholstery on furniture to tackling stairs.
One, of many, features that really stand out in this vacuum making it superior for pet hair is the self-cleaning pet power brush. The detachable brush is designed to prevent hair wrap from occurring during use from the floor or upholstery and the brushroll. In fact, Shark uses this same self-cleaning brush technology in other models including their Shark IQ Robot XL vacuum to provide optimal performance.
Additional attachments come with the Shark UltraCyclone Pet vacuum for added versatility such as a crevice tool for getting in tight places and a scrubbing brush. The slim design of this handheld vacuum is ideal for those hard to reach places like in between cushions for a more comfortable quality while cleaning. The tapered nozzle is also great at picking up litter and debris. It’s an effective cleaning tool for a variety of messes beyond just pet hair. The different attachments are easy to switch out for a variety of household messes from spilled cheerios to stuck-on dirt.
It has an XL dust cup to take on big cleaning jobs and a touch-free dirt ejector release-button for zero contact with dust and debris. The translucent dust cup allows you to visibly see the amount of debris and pet hair getting picked up and when it’s time to empty. It’s completely detachable and easily flips open for deeper cleaning in between use. The filter can be easily removed for cleaning and washable for reuse.
The vac is powered with Lithium-ion technology to give you reliable power while cleaning. An indicator light located near the handle signals when it’s charging, when charging is complete and when the battery starts running low. When in use the light will stay on steadily. It will begin flashing when the battery starts running low to let you know it’s time to recharge before losing power. When you plug in the unit to charge the light will pulsate slowly to indicate charging. When charging is complete the light will remain on steadily for 5 minutes then shut off.
What is the difference between the Shark UltraCyclone Pet Pro+ CH951 and the CH901?
CH901 / Shark Ultra-Cyclone Pro
Features : CH901
- Two ultra-powerful cyclonic air streams for incredible suction and long-lasting filter and motor life
- Features an XL dust cup to tackle big jobs
- Lightweight and portable at only 2. 2 lbs.
- Washable filter for easy cleanup
- CleanTouch dirt ejector enables easy, hands-free debris disposal
- Lithium-ion technology ensures reliable performance every time
- Comes with a crevice tool and scrubbing brush to help clean hard-to-reach places and remove stuck-on dirt
Shark UltraCyclone Pet Pro+ CH951 vs CH901
If you’re shopping for a Shark PetPro vacuum be sure to take note of the model number you are purchasing. The CH951 and CH901 are both from the same series and very similar by design, however there are some differences that set them just slightly apart. The most notable difference apart from the color are the accessories included and the amount of power that goes into each vacuum when turned on.
The CH951 comes with the self-cleaning pet power brush in addition to the crevice tool and scrubbing brush and is 80 watts. It also features yellow components in the dust cup and power brush. In contrast, the CH901 is green and black, 65 watts and does not come with the self-cleaning pet power brush. The CH901 is also a half pound lighter in weight at 2.2lbs than the CH951.
Highly Recommended Hand Vacuums for Pet Hair
You might want to consider the following hand vacuums that really suck (in a good way)! Each of these models offer a great alternative to the Shark Ultra Cyclone Pet Pro+ with distinctive features that deliver effective and reliable performance for pet owners. They’re also easy to use and maintain for quality that lasts.
BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster AdvancedClean+ (HHVK515JP07)
- Anti- tangle rubber bristles motorized to lift stubborn pet hair
- Extra long crevice tool – clean hard to reach areas with less effort
- 4X More suction power vs our leading hand vacuum*
- Up to 145% more runtime vs. our leading hand vacuum**
- ONE-TOUCH easy empty- Empty without touching the dirt
- 2 Speeds – Powerboost mode for more power at touch of a button
- XL Dustbin – Pick up more, empty less
- Battery indicator – Know how much battery is left to complete the task
- Washable filter and pre-filter for easy cleaning and maintenance
This handheld vacuum by Black+Decker goes beyond the task of ordinary dirt pick up. It has been designed with 4x more suction power than their hand vacuum model HNV115 and comes with handy attachments for deep down clean. When you need an extra boost in power there is a button on top to select between level 1 to level 2 suction power. The anti-tangle pet hair brush features motorized rubber bristles to easily pick up stubborn pet hair without getting wrapped up. It also has a longer runtime than the leading cordless hand vacuum. In addition to the large 750ml dustbin, you can pick up more dust, dirt, and pet hair to get the job done with less frequent emptying on a single charge. A battery indicator light also lets you know when the battery is running low to recharge it.
Ease of Use – The included crevice tool can be extended for an extra long reach to make cleaning hard to reach areas even easier. You can effectively clean floors and high areas where other handhelds may come up short. A one-touch release button is featured on the dustbin for quick and easy emptying without coming in contact with dirt and pet hair. The Dustbuster AdvancedClean+ comes with a pre-filter and washable filter for long-lasting use and optimal suction performance.
Review : Bissell Pet Hair Eraser (2390)
- Ideal for : Carpet and Rugs, Low Pile Carpet, Stairs, Upholstery, Bare Floors, Pet Beds
- Motorized Brush Tool removes embedded pet hair and dirt.
- 14.4V lithium-ion battery provides 17 minutes of powerful cordless cleaning
- Enjoy improved hand vac cleaning performance with Triple Level Filtration.
- Dispose of pet hair and debris easily with a large, easy-to-empty dirt tank.
- Vacuum works with specialized pet tools including a Motorized Brush Tool, Upholstery Tool and Crevice Tool.
Another very well-known and trusted vacuum cleaner brand comparable to Shark is Bissell with their Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum. This portable handheld vacuum provides an affordable option for pet owners. It features a motorized brush tool to lift deep embedded pet hair and dirt. It comes with additional accessories for versatile uses. An upholstery tool makes cleaning and lifting pet hair on soft surfaces much easier. The crevice tool is handy for those hard to reach areas. The large dustbin has a 0.7-liter capacity to hold more dirt and long pet hair. A triple level filtration system also provides improved cleaning performance to remove dust from the air as well as prolong the life of the motor. It features a dual filter system with a washable filter screen to protect the paper filter from becoming clogged.
Ease of Use- The Pet Hair Eraser has a nice lightweight and compact design. The handle has switches right at your fingertips so it’s pretty simple to use and has an ergonomic design for a comfortable grip. The tools are easy to switch out for different jobs with a release button for detaching. The dustbin also removes easily for fast emptying and can be rinsed clean with water.
Bissell / 1782 Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Hand & Car Vacuum
- BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser hand vacuum is cordless, to clean wherever your pet goes
- Motorized foot provides powerful suction for a deeper clean
- Crevice tool helps clean hard-to-reach areas and tight spaces
- Upholstery tool cleans soft surfaces and furniture with felt by attracting more pet hair
- Dual-action filtration system
- Easy-to-Empty dirt bin to help get rid of pet hair easily
- Includes one-year limited warranty
Not to get confused with the previous Pet Eraser, the 1782 model is the more budget-friendly option. It comes with multiple accessories for cleaning different surfaces. The motorized pet attachment lifts up stubborn pet hair embedded in surfaces around your home and your vehicle. The upholstery tool has a felt component to attract more pet hair when used on soft surfaces. The telescoping extension wand conveniently attaches to the nozzle for cleaning in tight spaces and can be used individually or stacked with the upholstery tool for added convenience. The 1782 Pet Hair Eraser is powered by a rechargeable battery for cordless convenience to use anywhere in and around your home.
Ease of Use — The lightweight handheld vacuum weighs just 3-pounds and compact in size for quick and easy cleanups and storage. It features a dual-stage filtration system for easier cleaning and prolongs the life of the motor.
BLACK+DECKER 20V Max Flex / BDH2020FL
- Lithium Technology for strong suction + fade free power.
- Cordless, portable, lightweight and ultra-compact lets you can tackle chores without lugging out your full-size vacuum.
- High-performance motor delivers strong suction for quick pick ups on hard floors and touch ups on carpet.
- Handle is well balanced and fits comfortably in your hand.
- Washable, removable bowl + filters allow for thorough cleaning.
- Translucent, bagless dirt bowl makes it easy to see dirt and easy to empty.
- An included pet hair brush easily removes stubborn hair from upholstery.
- The crevice tool helps you access narrow, hard-to-reach areas.
- A 3-Stage filtration system prevents dust and debris from escaping.
- A flip-up brush assists with dusting applications.
If you frequently travel with your pets this is one of the best portable vacuums for tackling pet hair in your car. It comes with multiple attachments that are great for use throughout your home as well as your vehicle. Unlike the other handheld pet vacuum cleaners mentioned, the Max Flex also features a built-in 4-foot flexible hose to go just about anywhere. It conveniently cleans in hard to reach places such as under car seats or between tight spots. The 2-in-1 nozzle also features a flip-up brush for dusting. The rubberized pet hair attachment matched with the high performance motor delivers incredible pet hair removal on furniture, pet beds and even on low-pile carpets. It comes with a stick vac extension as well for cleaning floors or high areas that are tough to reach.
Ease of Use – This handheld vacuum is designed slightly different from other traditional handhelds. The handle is centered above the dirt bowl for a well-balanced and comfortable grip that makes it easier to hold while cleaning. The dust bowl is removable for emptying and washable for easy maintenance. It weighs just a little over 3-pounds for a lightweight portable unit that is easy to carry around where needed. The charging base also conveniently stores accessories for quick and easy access while keeping them organized.
Factors that Affect the Performance of Your Pet Handheld Vacuum
As with any product out there from time to time you can hit a snag that might affect its performance. Common problems that are often mentioned in product reviews can be the outcome of misuse or other factors that affect performance.
A cordless vacuum uses a battery of some type to power the device and requires charging for continued use. As excited as you may be to try out your device upon receiving, it’s highly recommended to allow complete charge up out of the box before your first-use. Charging times will vary by brand and model so read the manufacturer’s guide on suggested time required to completely charge your unit. Once it’s fully charged most handheld pet vacuums have an average run time between 15-25 minutes.
Another factor that will affect the run-time of your cordless handheld pet vacuum is the amount of power it uses while cleaning. In models that feature more than one power level, for instance, or a power boost option it can be expected to have a shorter run time when used at a higher power level. Motorized attachments will also use more power from the vacuum’s battery which in turn shortens your run-time a bit.
This can happen for a number of reasons. The biggest cause for a handheld vacuum to lose suction or weaken is due to a dirty filter. This is not as common in models with a pre-filter or dual-action type of filtration system which has some type of screen or protective component to prevent the main filter from becoming clogged. When the filter becomes clogged up with dust and dirt it loses airflow resulting in loss of suction. If your vacuum is losing suction or you notice it’s not picking up debris as effectively, check the filter to see if it needs to be cleaned. Most manufacturer’s recommend cleaning the filter at least every 3 months and replacing them as needed.
With any product you purchase it’s strongly suggested to read over the instruction manual prior to use. It may seem tedious but it can help you avoid potential misuse of your device that could void your warranty. Handheld vacuum cleaners such as these are meant for picking up dry messes only. Cleaning up wet spills or debris that is saturated could hinder the performance and ultimately damage your machine. You will want to get the most of your device for the amount of money you spend so take care to avoid misuse for an optimal experience.